|Twice-baked potatoes and simple slaw|
We decided to cheat and I'm glad we did. I'll never make these the "traditional" way again.
Large potatoes (one per person) - scrubbed - leave the peels on
Best Foods Mayo
Pepperoni (chopped) - optional
Pasta or pizza sauce (for topping)
Nonfat Greek yogurt (for topping)
melon baller (or ice cream scoop)
shallow pan with sides
To make the potato skins:
1. Pierce and microwave the potatoes until they are soft all the way through. Test with a skewer.
2. When done, cut potatoes in half lengthwise
3. Using a knife, score a line around the inside of the potato about 1/8" from the skin - you will scoop withing this line to create an edge
4. Using the melon ball tool, carefully remove the baked potato from the middle, being careful not to go too deep and not to break through the peel.
5. Put the scooped out insides of the potato into a bowl.
6. Repeat with all the remaining halves.
Make the filling:
7. Using the scooped out insides, add about 1/2 cup of mayo (more or less according to taste), 2-3 big handfuls of shredded cheese, a small handful of chives (to taste), and a few pinches of sea salt. You can also grind in some pepper or any other spices your family likes. Mash this all together until the consistency of lumpy potatoes.
8. Sprinkle a thin layer of sea salt on the baking tray you are using.
9. Pour some olive oil on a paper towel and rub it on the outside of the bottom of the hollowed out potato skins. Place the oiled shells on the sea salt in the pan, nesting them in a bit.
10. Carefully spoon the seasoned potato filling into the skins until it is mounded slightly taller than the shell.
11. Sprinkle with a small amount of shredded cheese
Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (or until heated through and cheese is bubbly).
- Pizza potato - top with chopped up pepperoni chunks before baking and then top with a dollop of warmed up pizza sauce before eating. (see picture above)
- Broccoli/Cheddar - add diced broccoli to the filling
- Tex/Mex - add 1 cup of taco meat to the filling and top with salsa after baking
- Dessert - replace the cheese and chives with some agave syrup, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
What's your favorite topping? Leave a comment below.